VB and Debugging

So for years our VB chums have not been able to debug in VB without VS crashing while rolling over a class level object. This is a problem in VB 4.3, VB 4.4 and even in VB TinyCLR OS.

http://old.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=19600

So a simple app like this will cause VS to explode if you roll the cursor over I

Option Explicit On
Option Strict On

Imports Microsoft.SPOT
Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices

Namespace MFConsoleApplication1

Public Module Module1
        Private I As Integer = 1

Sub Main()

Debug.Print(Resources.GetString(Resources.StringResources.String1))
            Stop
            Debug.Print(I.ToString)
        End Sub

End Module

End Namespace

Even thou i dont use VB i know a crazy dude in Southern California who is still in love with VB :slight_smile:

I looked over the problem, i pondered, i swore at the PC and still i couldn’t figure it out.

As luck would have it i still have @mcalsyn on 0800 HELPDESK speed dial and my caller ID isnt blocked :slight_smile: so i says to Martin…Dude…Hook me up…

A day later we now have a VSIX for VS2017 which allows full debugging in VS2017 - a huge win for the VB fanboys :joy:

So heres the evidence… CerbuinoBee running a VB app with NETMF 4.4 in VS2017 with full debugging and no explosions…

8 Likes

As usual, Justin gives us 27 seconds of entertainment. And it’s not even Friday.

3 Likes

TGIF might just be coming back :wink:

If anyone has a Cerberus laying around and wants to try NETMF 4.4 sing out…

1 Like

The fix is in the debugger type system and I’ll post a PR to github shortly (once I clean up a harmless but ugly hack I used to get a quick fix out). GHI can then apply that same fix to their host-side debugger code. The github issue thread has more details on what the root cause was.

5 Likes

@John_Brochue, @Gus_Issa : The pull request is here : Fix #212 - Hovering over Vb globals crashes VS by martincalsyn · Pull Request #552 · NETMF/netmf-interpreter · GitHub

You can see the code changes here : Fix #212 - Hovering over Vb globals crashes VS by martincalsyn · Pull Request #552 · NETMF/netmf-interpreter · GitHub

4 Likes

You deserve some margaritas :grinning:

Clearly, you know my favorite currency.

Nooooo, we want him productive not p@#$ed

1 Like
4 Likes

:joy::rofl:

Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

fyi - the updated extension for vs2017 is here : .NET Micro Framework project system - Visual Studio Marketplace

If you install this version, you will get automatic updates if I make more fixes. This tracks the latest netmf v4.4 changes as well. Note that installing this may or may not be compatible with TinyCLR installations (haven’t tested this, but I will). This package is ONLY for folks working in NETMF v4.4 code. If you are using TinyCLR, stick with the GHI extension.

3 Likes