Trouble successfully initializing keyboard device on USB0 or USB1 on F40 ALFAT OEM board

Using the F40 ALFAT OEM board attached to the Eval Kit, after verifying that I can successfully initialize and talk to flash drives on both of the USB ports (so they’re working for storage devices), I tried attaching a known working USB keyboard, and used ALFAT Explorer to send a custom command to initialize the keyboard device. I have not been able to get the F40 OEM board to respond with anything but !02 (incorrect parameters). I am following the documentation on page 4 of Rev. 3.1 of the File System User Manual.

With the keyboard attached to USB0, I have tried:
I K0:
and
I K0:K

both with the same results of !02.

With the keyboard attached to USB1, I have tried:
I K1:
and
I K1:K

both with the same results of !02.

The keyboard is very generic, and does not require any driver on a PC. I have also tried another USB keyboard, with the same results.

I’m sure I am missing something simple. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I: K0: A
I: K0: R
are the two options for the keyboard filter (manual P35). I don’t know where you got “K” from.

Not sure why you’re getting invalid command returns for what seems valid request, without the filter option… so I’d suspect the keyboard isn’t a generic HID keyboard. Do you have a few other USB keyboards you can try?

1 Like

@ Brett -

Thanks very much for your reply.

Apparently, I must be working from the wrong version of the documentation. I followed the links from the Eval Kit’s product page through to https://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/man/File_System_User_Manual.pdf . (The attached screen shot with highlights shows where I got the idea that I needed to place a K parameter after the colon.) Could you point me to the “P35” manual you’re referring to? I’d really like to be working from the correct documentation.

I see in your examples that you’re placing a colon after the I command character itself. I don’t see this in the documentation I have or in the behavior of the ALFAT Explorer for the storage initialization commands. I have been using only a space after the command character.

I have tried three completely generic USB keyboards, from three different manufacturers, and they all behave identically. None of them require any driver. They all appear, when attached to a PC, in Device Manager under Keyboards as “HID Keyboard Device”.

Based on your message and trying several different combinations, I have achieved partial success now. If I do NOT use the colon after the I command, and I USE the either the A or R parameter with NO intervening spaces after the last colon, I get a success code. Otherwise, I get the !02 error:

I K0:A works!
I K0:R works!
I K0: gets an !02 error (no A or R parameter)
I K0: A gets an !02 error (space before A)
I K0: R gets an !02 error (space before R)
I: K0: gets an !02 error (colon after I)
I: K0:A gets an !02 error (colon after I)
I: K0:R gets an !02 error (colon after I)

Ditto for K1.

So, thank you…I’m no longer blocked…I’ll just be sure to use the A or R parameter, no spaces before them, and I’m good to go.

I also wonder why using no parameter generates the error. Open to any ideas of what might be going on.

Incidentally, the V command reports v2.0.0.

[url]https://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/ALFAT/ALFAT_SoC_Processor_User_Manual.pdf[/url]

The K is a parameter, and you supply either A or R for filtered ASCII characters, or raw key codes.

The manual says “optional”. I am guessing that’s incorrect :slight_smile: Perhaps @ Dat or someone from GHI can comment

1 Like

@ Brett -

Thanks for the link to the correct manual.

In the manual I had, it never says anything about a value for the K parameter, so I assumed K was the value. All it does Is define “K” as “For media K0 or K1 only, return an ASCII-mapped key-code.” Thanks for clarifying.

I really appreciate your responses and pointing me to the correct documentation.

1 Like