How to use a 1Ghz processor in your next design!

@ Bill Gates - It will by the time, I’m done with it.

@ godefroi - connectors do not work under high vibration and likely to break down under extreme temperatures.

Not to forget that the processor is much more suited for embedded applications, like PWM and analog… The RPUs are truly amazing.

The list just goes on and on.

…and don’t count out the managed languages just because they are prototyping with VC-for-Linux. If it runs Linux, and it’s ARM, then it can run Mono/CoreCLR. And that means you can code C# and VB.net, and that means managed-language happiness at a perf level way above NETMF interpreted bytecode.

2 Likes

I’ve been hoping a successor to the G400 would come along as I am bogged down right now with memory limitations when trying to develop a GUI based system and running into module and final size limitations when trying to use decent graphics and the ever expanding code that is has taken on. I’ve had to cut down a lot to try and fit it all in. Something like this with C# will be ideal. I don’t want to spend months re-writing the code in C/C++ etc so I am hoping we will be able to use Visual Studio and C# to develop on this.

Will this have a proper 24bit LCD display or will this still be like the current offering and use 565 for the display? Can it do LVDS so we can drive larger resolution displays?

Is there components on the underside of the SOM as it was with the G400S and we have to make holes in the boards to accommodate them?

The ultimate question though remains. When can we have this? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@ Dave McLaughlin - we are very excited, just like you. However, this is no STM32 and we are pulling all resources to get this in your product in 2016 :slight_smile:

Will there be a TH board for this module?

EDIT: If so then please, please put four (4) mounting holes in it. A board of that size should have 4 mounting holes ::slight_smile:

Exactly! I am so glad you guys have started down this road!!!

If you have not considered this yet, please consider a module with 8GB eMMC as well.

3 Likes

@ Dave McLaughlin - As of right now, there are no parts on the bottom. :smiley:

1 Like

I would say this new board is a descendant of the board that the new guy “polytronic” displayed in his video.

https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=23119
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1OeJnmKZEc

Gus, I will gladly accept one of the first boards off the press for taking note of this early screening of your new magic.

:slight_smile:

Don’t see any resemblance of the new board in that video. He is using a G120 dev board. A very different beast.

Is this SoM in the same class of planned availability like the EMX/G120 SoM?
I mean: Do we get long availability for small quantities?

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - absolutely. This is still GHI Electronics :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d like to know more about how GHI and Octavo met.

@ Gus - Seems like it’s a nice module for commercial users. I don’t think I have any projects it fits into, though.

5 Likes

LOL :clap:

My perception is a little vague on this. Will this be a Windows 10 IOT device or a NETMF device?? A NETMF device operating at this speed would seem to be a game changer in my eyes. Please make this so GHI!!

@ Diesel Engineer - It’s not going to be a NETMF device, because it’s far to much overkill for NETMF. This thing could run the full .NET Server side framework. Its also unlikely to be a Windows IoT device; it isn’t as powerful as a RPI 2.

@ Diesel Engineer - The description says Linux. With Mono it should be like a NETMF device on steroids

@ Diesel Engineer - NETMF would be a waste on this sort of hardware. Better to use an OS that allows the full-fat (and machine-language-compiled) framework.