Does anyone still milling their PCBs?

Or what is the cheapest solution for one-offs?

@ EvoMotors - Toner transfer.

I had better success using presensitized photo resist boards.

@ EvoMotors - If you have a permanent marker that is fine enough, you can plot the pcb with your new mad plotter skills. Also, there was a method that I was trying. Scratch and Etch. I couldn’t formulate the scratch off paint though.

@ EvoMotors - High quality boards @ oshpark.com

1 Like

I’ve CNCed my last few prototypes, but I don’t have regular access to a CNC. I’d always prefer to use the CNC if possible because even though OSHpark is great, it’s still close to a month turn around here in Aus, and if it’s a true prototype (IE I’ll change it several times before completion) I hate the thoughts of making 3x PCBs for nothing…

What software are you using to produce g-code for milling PCB?

I do have a PWM controllable router (like one on the picture), so I should be able to make PCB for the machine controller while the controller still on breadboard. So it’s like machine making itself. Just need to find the right software for g-code generation.

I have been using http://pcbgcode.org/ with Eagle, and then milling on my Nomad 883.

2 Likes

+1 to PCB GCode with Eagle.

If you don’t need through hole plating then milling works but to be honest, with the cost of professional boards being so cheap, even for 4 layer now, it’s not really worth the effort to make your own. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Couldn’t find anything cheaper than $100+. and for this particular project I only need one board.

What is your board size (mm) and layers?

2 layers, about 20X15 mm

If they were only $2/board would it upset you to have to get 10 of them? :wink:

It usually takes no more than 10 days to arrive at my door after placing an order.

OSHpark.com gives you that in less than $5, because it’s less than a square inch in area; in one off, but you get three in case you screw the pooch with the soldering iron.

Are you sure you’re not confusing mm and cm? 20mm x 15mm = 2cm x 1.5cm. 20cm x 15cm on the other hand is substantially bigger (way beyond what OSHpark prices are sensible for, that comes to $240). At DFRobot, they have a price of ~$88 for a 200mm x 150mm board, delivering 10x boards…

And as an added bonus you get to look at those God awful purple boards forever… :hand:

enclosures my friend, enclosures :slight_smile:
Plus if you are only making one, the chances are you’ll never see it again (until it breaks :slight_smile: )

@ ianlee74 - I love purple! What’s wrong with purple? :dance:

Sorry, I mean 20x15 cm not mm. So the total is very close to a $100